Homeowners looking to improve their home will likely think about getting new patio doors and windows, especially when the ones they are using are already old and damaged. Sometimes, however, homeowners will have trouble making choices because they don’t know what type of windows go best with what type of doors. But do they really have to match? We’ll explore the answers in this post.
Should They Match?
There are a variety of window styles and then there are different kinds of doors. Patio doors, like French doors, are considered exterior doors that give homeowners access to their back porch or yard. These doors let a lot of light into the home, and give homeowners an unobstructed view of what’s outside.
You might be tempted to fuss about what kind and style of window you should install in your home so that it would match your patio door. You may think about getting picture windows, casement windows, and the like, but worry that they might not make a good match because they look different.
What homeowners need to realize is that when it comes to this, it’s all about preference. There’s no hard and fast rule that says this patio door should go with this window. Homeowners should feel free to choose windows and patio doors, and decide whether they will look the same or not.
What’s important here is that homeowners should choose patio or new entry doors and windows that are a great match for their home’s style:
- Traditional homes look best with double-hung windows, transom windows and bay and bow style windows, as well as wooden or wood-stained doors.
- Craftsman homes use doors made from solid wood, and can feature decorative stained glass windows.
- Contemporary homes make use of casement windows as well as sliding or gliding windows.
- Victorian homes normally have ornate designs. This home style looks great with double-hung, arched, transom, bay or bow, fixed, and windows with custom shapes.
- Spanish or Mediterranean style homes commonly feature window walls and arched windows, with wooden or wrought-iron window grilles.
Looking for reliable door replacement companies to help you match your patio door and your windows? Look no further than Abby Windows & Exteriors. Our team will always keep you in the know, whether you need a new roof, windows, doors, or siding. Call us at (414) 209-404 or fill out our contact form for a free estimate.